A delicious and simple vrat-approved recipe for Upma.
VARI KA UPMA
1½ cups vari or sau
3 tbsps ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 green chillies
2 sprigs of curry leaves
Sendha namak to taste
2 tsps ginger-green chilli paste
2 tsps lemon juice
Chopped fresh coriander for garnish
Scraped fresh coconut for garnish
1. Heat a deep non-stick pan, add ghee heat it and add cumin seeds. Sauté till fragrant, add green chillies, curry leaves and sau or veri. Mix well.
2. Sauté lightly for 1-2 minutes. Add sendha salt, ginger green chilli paste. Add 3 cups warm water, combine well.
3. Cover and cook on low heat till vari cooks well. Add lemon juice. Mix well. Cook for a minute and switch off heat.
4. Transfer upma in a serving bowl.
5. Serve hot, garnished with chopped coriander and scraped coconut.