A delicious biryani made with the protein-loaded Quinoa.
QUINOA VEGETABLE BIRYANI
¾ cup quinoa, cooked till ¾ done
¾ cup brown rice, cooked till ¾ done
2½ tbsps biryani masala powder
2 ½ tsps ghee
1½ tsps cumin seeds
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
Salt to taste
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
2 tsps cumin powder
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp green cardamom powder
10-12 small cauliflower florets
1 small carrot, cut into diamonds
4-6 french bans, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 medium potato, cut into cubes
½ cup frozen green peas
2 tbsps freshly chopped fenugreek leaves (methi)
4 tbsps fried onion
¾ cup yogurt
A pinch of saffron, soaked in 2 tbsps warm milk
2 tbsps freshly chopped coriander leaves + for garnish
2 tbsps mint leaves
2-3 green chillies, slit
1 inch ginger, cut into thin strips
1 tbsp rose water
1 tbsp kewra water
Raita to serve
1. Heat ghee in a non-stick deep pan, add cumin seeds and let the seeds change colour. Add onion and sauté till translucent.
2. Add ginger-garlic paste, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes, mix well and add salt, sauté well and cook till pulpy.
3. Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, ¼ tsp green cardamom powder, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add biryani masala powder and mix well. Cook till oil separates.
5. Add cauliflower, carrot, French beans, potato, green peas, chopped fenugreek, fried onion, and adjust salt. Add yogurt, mix well and cook for 8-10 minutes.
6. Add quinoa, spread it evenly and add brown rice and spread it evenly. Add saffron milk, sprinkle remaining fried onion, chopped coriander, mint leaves, green chillies, ginger strips and sprinkle remaining green cardamom powder.
7. Add rose water, and kewra water. Cover with silver foil and place the lid on. Cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes.
8. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with raita.