Coconut lends a distinct flavour to this Bhindi sabzi.
BHINDI COCONUT MASALA
300 gms ladies finger, cut into ¾ inch pieces
½ cup scraped fresh coconut + for garnish
2 tbsps oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp split, skinless black gram (dhuli urad dal)
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 dried red chilli, stem removed
5-6 curry leaves
2 tsps tamarind pulp
Salt to taste
2 tsps finely chopped garlic
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chilli powder
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan, add mustard seeds and sauté till it splutters. Add dhuli urad dal and fenugreek seeds. Sauté for few seconds and add coriander seeds. Break and add dried red chilli, curry leaves, scraped coconut and mix well. Sauté for a minute.
2. Add tamarind pulp and salt in mixture. Add sufficient water and blend the mixture to a fine paste.
3. Heat remaining oil in a deep non-stick pan, add garlic and sauté for a minute till golden.
4. Add onion and sauté till it turns golden brown.
5. Add tomato and sauté till it turns pulpy.
6. Add ladies finger and mix well. Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
7. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and blended paste. Mix well. Add sufficient water and mix well. Cover and cook on medium heat for 5-6 minutes or till oil separates.
8. Serve hot, garnished with scraped coconut.