Delicious puris with coconut shreds result in a delicious texture as well as flavour.
1 cup scraped fresh coconut
1½ cups refined flour (maida)
2 tbsps semolina (suji / rawa)
¼ tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
Salt to taste
2 tbsps oil (hot) + for deep frying
2 green chillies, finely chopped
4 tbsps chopped fresh coriander leaves
1. Add refined flour, semolina, carom seeds, salt and 2 tbsps hot oil. Mix well. Add sufficient water and knead into stiff dough. Set aside for 20-25 minutes.
2. For the stuffing, add coconut, green chillies, coriander leaves and salt. Mix well.
1. On a worktop, roll the dough and divide into equal portions. With the thumbs make cavity in divided portions, place a spoonful of stuffing on centre and seal the edges. Dip each portion in little oil and with rolling pin flatten into medium thick disc.
3. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai and deep fry each disc till golden brown in colour. Drain on an absorbent paper.
4. Place puris on a serving plate.
5. Serve hot.