12 ounces potatoes, divided
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, cubed
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons chestnut flour/powder
Salt and pepper
3 eggs, beaten
Oil, for frying
1. Cook half of the potatoes, allow to cool then mash. Slice the other half into thin strips.
2. In a mixing bowl, add both kinds of potato, chestnut powder, salt, pepper, cheese and heavy cream. Stir to combine.
3. Divide the mixture among the openings of a donut pan, pressing down to flatten. Place in the refrigerator to firm up.
4. Add flour to one shallow dish, eggs to a second dish, and breadcrumbs to a third. Dip each potato donut first in the flour then in the eggs and finally in the breadcrumbs.
5. In a high-sided pan, heat oil to 350 degrees. Carefully submerge donuts in the hot oil and cook until light brown. Serve with tomato sauce.