Thumbs up if this is your dream comfort food dish!
For pumpkin mousse
12 ounces kabocha
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons ginger
1 boneless, skinless chicken thigh, cubed
1 ounce carrot, cut into strips
1/2 onion, sliced
2 button mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 cup whole tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Salt & pepper to taste
9 ounces udon
Black sesame seeds
1. Peel and seed kabocha, and cut into chunks. Place in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for about 4 minutes, or until pumpkin is fully cooked. Smash down through a strainer and let it cool.
2. Whip heavy cream to stiff peaks. Fold in kabocha puree. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside.
3. Heat a pot over medium heat; add butter, garlic and ginger. Sauté until you can smell aroma, about 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook until edges brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add carrot, onion, mushrooms and curry powder. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, stock, sugar and soy. Break down tomatoes with a wooden stirring spoon. Bring it to boil and stir occasionally. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Mix cornstarch with 2 teaspoons cold water and pour into curry while stirring. You will see curry is thick and shiny; remove from heat and set aside.
5. Cook udon by following directions on package. Drain completely and toss in curry.
6. Place curry udon into a serving bowl and completely cover top with pumpkin mousse. Sprinkle black sesame seeds on top and enjoy!