6-8 fresh figs, quartered
½ cup dried figs, chopped
¼ cup espresso
¾ cup butter, soft
½ cup fine brown sugar
1 cup + 1 tbsp refined flour (maida)
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp star anise powder
10-12 roasted hazelnuts, chopped + for garnish
Butter cream icing as required
Caramel sauce as required
1. Preheat the oven at 180˚C.
2. In a bowl, add butter, brown sugar, and beat till light and fluffy. Add an egg and vanilla essence, beat again till well combined.
3. Add the remaining eggs one at a time, beating the mixture well in between.
4. Sieve 1 cup flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder, and star anise powder directly into the bowl and add espresso, and hazelnuts.
5. Take dried figs in a bowl, add remaining flour and mix well. Add this to the flour-butter mixture and fold till well combined.
6. Transfer the batter into a silicone mould and bake for 35-40 minutes. Let it cool completely.
7. De-mould and trim off the top of the cake. Apply a little icing on the cake board and place the cake upside down.
8. Apply the buttercream on the cake and spread it evenly using a palate knife. Comb the sides using a cake-comb.
9. Garnish with fresh figs and chopped hazelnuts. Drizzle caramel sauce on the edges and serve.