A popular recipe from the Sindhi cuisine. Fresh cut vegetables cooked in tangy gramflour based curry, goes perfect with steamed rice.
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
6-8 lady fingers, cut into pieces
2 drumsticks, cut into 2 inch pieces
5-6 cluster beans, cut into pieces
¼ cup green peas
5 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
½ teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf)
12-16 curry leaves
2 green chillies, chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
¾ cup gram flour (besan)
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
2½ tablespoons tamarind pulp
1½ tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
Fresh coriander sprig for garnishing
1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add potatoes and stir-fry till browned. Transfer to a plate.
2. Add lady fingers in the same pan and sauté for a minute. Remove from heat, transfer to the plate and set aside.
3. In the same pan, add cumin seeds and sauté till seeds change colour. Add fennel seeds, curry leaves, green chillies and ginger, mix and sauté well.
4. Add gram flour and mix well. Add 1 cup water, stir till the mixture thickens. Add 2 cups water and stir to mix.
5. Add turmeric powder and salt, mix and bring to a boil. Add drumstick and cluster beans, mix, cover and bring to a boil.
6. Add chilli powder, tomatoes, green peas and fried vegetables, mix well, cover and bring to a boil.
7. Add tamarind pulp and coriander leaves, mix well and simmer for a minute.
8. Garnish with coriander sprig and serve hot with steamed rice.