Masala Pav stuffed with delicious vadas result in a carnival of flavours.
MASALA VADA PAV
4 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed
2 tbsps oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp asafoetida
5-6 curry leaves
1½ tbsps ginger-garlic-green chilli-coriander paste
¾ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 cup gram flour (besan)
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
A pinch of baking soda
4 pavs , slit
3 tbsps butter + toasting
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1 small capsicum, finely chopped
2 tbsps chopped fresh coriander leaves + garnish
1 tbsp red chilli paste
1 tbsp pav bhaji masala
Salt to taste
1 tsp lemon juice
1. Heat oil in non-stick pan, addmustard seeds, let them splutter. Add ½ tsp asafoetida, curry leaves and ginger-garlic-green chilli-coriander paste, sauté well and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add ¼ turmeric powder, potatoes and mix well. Add salt and fresh coriander leaves, mix well. Set aside to cool.
3. In a bowl, add gram flour, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, remaining asafoetida, remaining turmeric powder, salt, baking soda and sufficient water, mix well and make a semi-thick batter.
4. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai, meanwhile, divide the potatoes mixture into equal portions and shape them into balls and flatten them.
5. Dip each portion in the prepared gram flour batter and drop into the hot oil. Deep fry till golden and crispy. Drain on an absorbent paper and set aside.
6. Heat 2 tbsps butter in non-stick tawa, let it melt. Add onion, sauté well and cook till golden brown.
7. Add ginger-garlic paste, mix well and cook for 30 seconds. Add tomato and mix well. Cook till tomatoes are pulpy.Add capsicum, fresh coriander leaves, red chilli paste, mix well.
8. Add pav bhaji masala, salt and ½ cup water. Mash the mixture well using a masher. Cook for 1-2 minutes.Add remaining butter and lemon juice, mix well. Slide the cooked mixture on the sides of the tawa.
9. Add a little butter in the middle of the tawa, let it melt. Place the pavs on it and cook for 30 seconds.
10. Flip them and apply ¾ of the cooked mixture inside them, fold in half. Apply the remaining mixture on top of the pavs. Cook for 30 seconds, set aside.
11. Transfer onto a plate; place the cooked vadas in the middle of masala pavs. Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves.
12. Serve hot along with coconut chutney.