1 cup refined flour + for dusting
¼ cup semolina, finely grinded
Salt to taste
1 tbsp warm ghee
½ cup milk
Oil to deep fry
Banana leaf for plating
1. To prepare the stuffing, heat 1 tbsp ghee in a non-stick pan, add poppy seeds and grated coconut. Mix well and cook for a minute. Add sugar and sauté on medium heat for 1-2 minutes till sugar mixes well. Add charwadi, cashew nuts, raisins. Mix well. add green cardamom powder, nutmeg powder. Mix well. Switch off heat till it is nice and moist.
2. Transfer the prepared mixture in a bowl. Set aside to cool down.
3. For the dough, add refined flour, semolina, a pinch of salt and warm ghee in a bowl. Add milk turn by turn. Combine well. Knead into stiff dough. Cover with a moist muslin cloth and set aside for 30 minutes.
4. To prepare modak, place and divide dough into equal portions on a worktop. Take a big portion, make into oval shape, sprinkle refined flour on worktop, and roll with rolling pin into a thin disc. Cut equal sized discs with a cookie cutter and add a spoonful of stuffing in centre of equal sized discs. Seal the edges and shape into modaks.
5. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai, add modaks and deep fry on medium heat for 5-6 minutes till it turns golden brown in colour. Drain on an absorbent paper.
6. Add a banana leaf cut into a disc in a serving plate. Transfer modaks in serving plate.
7. Serve immediately.