Delicious Burfis made using lotus seeds or Makhana, creating unique textures and flavours.
2 cups lotus seeds (makhana)
1½ cups roasted peanuts
1½ tsps ghee + for greasing
1 cup desiccated coconut
¼ cup sugar syrup
A pinch of green cardamom powder
Pistachio slices for garnish
Almond slices for garnish
Silver warq for garnish
1. Take makhana in a deep non-stick pan and dry roast on low heat till it becomes hard. Remove in a plate and set aside.
2. Add the roasted makhana in a blender and blend to a fine powder. Remove in a plate and set aside.
3. Add roasted peanuts in a blender and blend to a fine paste. Remove in a bowl and set aside.
4. Heat ghee in a non-stick pan, add the makhana powder and sauté on low heat till slightly golden, stirring continuously.
5. Add peanut paste and desiccated coconut in pan. Mix well. Sauté for 2-3 minutes on low heat. Add sugar syrup, green cardamom powder and mix well. Cook till the mixture leaves the pan and turns slightly brown.
6. Grease a burfi tray with ghee on all sides. Transfer the mixture and spread it.
7. Sprinkle pistachio, almond over burfi and slightly press them. Garnish with silver warq on top. Allow to set. Cut the burfi into 1 inch squares.
8. Serve as required.