1/2 cup split skinless black gram (dhulimoong dal), soaked for 6-8 hours.
5-6 curry leaves, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
Crushed black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Oil for deep-fry
½ cup coconut, scraped
2 tablespoon roasted chana dal( dalia )
2 green chillies
Pinch of asafoetida
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
5-6 curry leaves
1. Blend split skinless black gram into smooth and thick batter .Transfer in a bowl.
2. Add curry leaves,green chillies crushed black pepper, salt, mix well and set aside.
3. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai.
4. Take a portion of the batter, make a cavity in the center to shape into meduvada and drop in hot oil directly, deep-fry till golden brown and crispy, drain on absorbent paper.
5. For coconut chutney, Combine together coconut, daliaroasted chana dal,green chillies, asafoetida,salt, little water and grind into smooth paste.
6. Heat oil in non-stick pan, add mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds splutter, add into coconut mixture and mix well .
7. Serve medu vada with coconut chutney