1 cup parboiled rice (ukada chawal)
½ cup skinless split black gram (dhuli urad dal)
1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
Rock salt to taste
Sesame oil for greasing + drizzling
Coconut chutney to serve
Sambhar to serve
1. Soak parboiled rice, split black gram, fenugreek seeds in sufficient water in separate bowl for 10-12 hours. Drain and grind individually to a smooth paste.
2. Combine together rice paste, skinless split black gram paste and rock salt in a bowl, mix well, set aside to ferment for 10-12 hours.
3. Heat 1½ cups of water in idli steamer. Grease idli mould with sesame oil and pour a ladleful of batter in the mould and tap it once.
4. Place the idli mould in the steamer, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes. Remove from steamer and drizzle a little sesame oil on top.
5. De-mould and serve hot with coconut chutney and sambhar.