Scrumptious Kulchas with some raita is a pair made in heaven!
AMRITSARI ALOO KULCHA
1½ cups refined flour (maida) + dusting
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp sugar
Salt to taste
2½ tbsps soft butter + applying + basting
¾ cup milk
Dried fenugreek leaves + sprinkling
Ghee as required
Raita to serve
3 large potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed
2 green chillies, chopped
½ tsp chaat masala powder
1 tsp crushed dried pomegranate seeds
2 tbsps freshly chopped coriander leaves + sprinkling
1 medium onion, chopped
Salt to taste
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp crushed coriander seeds
½ inch ginger, grated
1. In a bowl, add refined flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, and milk, mix well and knead to soft dough, cover with a cling wrap and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
2. Dust some flour on the worktop, place the prepared dough and roll into a thick disc, apply a little butter and roll it. Roll the dough again and apply some more butter, roll it and pinch the edges to seal the dough.
3. Divide the dough into equal portions and shape them into balls, set aside.
4. In a bowl, add potatoes, green chillies, chaat masala powder, crushed dried pomegranate seeds, chopped coriander, onion, salt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, crushed coriander seeds, grated ginger, and mix well.
5. Dust the worktop with flour, place a portion of the prepared dough ball and slight roll it, stuff it with a portion of the prepared potato mixture and seal the edges and flip it.
6. Flatten the top and roll it into a thick disc.
7. Heat a non-stick tawa, place the prepared kulcha and brush a little water on top and sprinkle chopped coriander and dried fenugreek leaves and press it.
8. Cook the base for 3-4 minutes on low heat and flip, apply a little ghee and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes. Flip and apply ghee, flip again and cook for 1-2 minutes.
9. Take it off the heat, place it on a worktop and crush the kulcha and serve hot with raita.