Brinjals slit and stuffed with a delicious filling and cooked to perfection.
8 medium brinjals
1 tbsp tamarind pup
½ cup fresh scrapped coconut
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1 tbsp goda masala
2 tbsps jaggery
2 tbsps crushed peanuts
1 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsps oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp asafoetida
1. Trim the stems of the brinjals, make criss cross slits on the narrow side of the brinjals. Place them in water and set aside.
2. In a bowl, add tamarind pulp, coconut, 1 tbsp chopped coriander, goda masala, jaggery, peanuts, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well.
3. Fill the brinjals with some prepared stuffing and reserve the remaining.
4. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add mustard seeds, asafoetida and let the seeds splutter.
5. Add the stuffed brinjal and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame, occasionally mixing.
6. Add the remaining stuffing and ½ cup water. Cover and cook for 20 minutes on low flame.
7. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.