A delicious dessert for an interesting summer meal.
2¼ cups milk
4 tbsps basmati rice, soaked and drained
25-30 almonds, soaked, blanched and peeled
8-10 cashew nuts, broken
½ tbsp fennel seeds
5-6 black peppercorns
2 tbsps melon seeds
2 tbsps poppy seeds
3-4 green cardamoms
8-10 strands of saffron + for garnish
½ cup sugar
6-8 dried rose petals
A pinch of nutmeg powder
8-10 pistachio nuts, blanched and cut into slivers
1. Heat 2 cups of milk in a non-stick kadai, let it come to a boil on high heat. Lower the heat and allow to reduce for 6-8 minutes.
2. In a blender jar, add almonds, cashew nuts, fennel seeds, black peppercorns, melon seeds, poppy seeds, green cardamoms, saffron and blend to a coarse powder. Set aside.
3. In another blender jar, add rice, remaining milk and blend to a fine paste. Add this mixture to the reduced milk and mix well. Allow the rice to cook completely.
4. Add 3-4 tsps of prepared powder and mix till well combined. Cook for 2-3 minutes, mixing constantly.
5. Add sugar, crush rose petals and add to the kadai, mix till the sugar is dissolved completely.
6. Add a pinch of nutmeg powder, and mix well. Take it off the heat.
7. Transfer the prepared phirni in earthen bowl and tap it to remove any air pockets. Refrigerate till cools completely.
8. Garnish with pistachio slivers, and saffron strands. Serve chilled.