This Kerela Style Mutton Pepper Roast recipe is perfect for a fancy weekend lunch or dinner.
MUTTON PPEPPER ROAST KERALA STYLE
750 grams mutton on the bone, cut into 2 inch pieces
2 tsps crushed black peppercorns
Salt to taste
2 tsps red chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 ½ tsps cumin powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsps coconut oil
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 inch ginger, cut into thin strips
2 medium onions, finely chopped
8-10 curry leaves
10-12 fresh coconut slices + for garnish
Fried curry leaves for garnish
1. Marinate the mutton with salt, 1 tsp crushed peppercorns, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and lemon juice. Set aside for 25-30 minutes.
2. Heat coconut oil in a deep nonstick pan. Add the garlic, ginger strips, onions and sauté till translucent.
3. Add curry leaves, marinated mutton and sauté on high heat for 5-6 minutes.
4. Add coconut slices, remaining crushed peppercorns and mix well. Add 2 cups water and mix well.
5. Cover and cook on medium heat for 35-40 minutes or till the mutton is done.
6. Garnish with coconut slices and curry leaves. Serve hot with paranthas.