½ medium cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into diamonds
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into small pieces
5-6 French beans, diagonally sliced
¼ cup frozen green peas
3 tablespoons oil
½ cup grated dried coconut
5-6 dried red chillies
8-10 black peppercorns
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander sprigs for garnishing
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
1 stone flower
1 inch cinnamon
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
2 black cardamoms
10-12 black peppercorns
1. To prepare Kolhapuri masala, grind together aniseeds, stone flower, cinnamon, cumin seeds, bay leaves, black cardamoms and peppercorns into fine powder.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick pan. Add coconut, dried red chillies, cloves, peppercorns, poppy seeds and coriander seeds and sauté for 1 minute. Add half of onion and sauté till golden brown. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Grind the roasted coconut-dried red chilli mixture alongwith ½ cup water into smooth paste.
4. Heat remaining oil in a deep non-stick pan. Add remaining onion and ginger-garlic paste and sauté till golden brown.
5. Add tomato and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add chilli powder and turmeric powder and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add ground coconut-dried red chilli mixture and mix. Add ½ cup water and mix. Add salt, mix, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or till the oil separates.
7. Add cauliflower florets, carrot and potato, mix, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes. Add French beans and mix. Add green peas and salt, mix and cook for 4-5 minutes.
8. Add 1 tablespoon ground Kolhapuri masala, and mix well.
9. Serve hot garnished with coriander sprigs.