Fish fillets topped with spicy and tangy mixture bursting with thai flavours wrapped with banana leaf and cooked.
THAI FISH IN BANANA LEAF
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
2 boneless fish fillets
2 banana leaves
1 inch stalk lemongrass
3 spring onion bulbs
6-7 fresh basil leaves
1 tsp grated ginger
2 tsps fish sauce
2 tsps brown sugar
2 tsps tamarind pulp
5 red bird’s eye chillies
1 tbsp + 1 tsp oil + for drizzling
Salt to taste
1. Slice lemongrass and spring onion bulbs and place into a bowl.
2. Roughly chop basil leaves and add to the bowl alongwith red curry paste, ginger, fish sauce, brown sugar and tamarind pulp.
3. Slice bird’s eye chillies and add to the bowl. Mix well. Add 1 tbsp oil and mix again.
4. Discard the veins of banana leaves, halve lengthwise and soften by placing on direct flame.
5. Heat 1 tsp oil in a non-stick pan.
6. Cut fish fillets into halves and place on a plate. Sprinkle salt on top.
7. Place banana leaf halves overlapping each other. Drizzle some oil on it, put one fish piece and top with some spring onion mixture. Place another fish piece and top with some more spring onion mixture. Wrap into a parcel. Make remaining parcel similarly.
8. Place the parcels in the pan, cover and cook till the fish is fully done, flipping once in between.
9. Open the parcel a bit and serve immediately.